Top quality Cinnamon quills are created from "True Cinnamon" (Cinnamomum verum, synonym C. zeylanicum) it is a small evergreen tree native to Sri Lanka, not to be confused with Cassia which is generally light to reddish brown. This top quality Sri Lankan Cinnamon has a sweet warm tasting flavour with a woody aroma. A divine taste that is distinctively different. The sticks look a tough in texture but they are actually soft and can be crumbled by hand.
Cinnamon is harvested by growing the tree for two years and then coppicing it. The next year a dozen or so shoots will form from the roots. These shoots are then stripped of their bark and left to dry. Only the thin (0.5 mm) inner bark is used; the outer woody portion is removed, leaving metre long cinnamon strips which curl into rolls (quills) on drying; each dried quill comprises strips from numerous shoots packed together.
Tips for using Equagold Top quality Cinnamon quills
- Sprinkling onto porridge, breakfast bowls, muesli, pancakes, waffles and ice cream
- Add to savoury dishes, curries, meat stews and especially lamb dishes.
- Always a favourite in your the traditional crumbles and pies
- Blend it into butter and make spicy cinnamon toast and crumpets
- Whole pieces of cinnamon quills can be added to pilau rice
- A key ingredient in mulled wine