Glace Ginger and Date Chocolate Slice
Prep Time:15-20 mins
Cook Time:30 mins
- The quantities of ingredients fill a large 30 x 20cm slice dish.
- 120 g (approx 1/2 cup) Equagold Glaze Ginger. (Crystallised ginger is not recommended).
- 185 g (1 cup) approx 25 pitted dates, sliced into 3 pieces
- 1/3 cup Equagold Vanilla sugar
- 125 g butter, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons, Equagold Vanilla extract
- 3 cups of cornflakes
- 250 g (2 cups) Equagold Belgian style Couverture (70% chocolate)
- 2 Tablespoons, Equagold Cocoa Butter (or Kremelta vegetable shortening)
- Non-stick cooking paper
Into a medium sized pot place ginger and sliced dates (kitchen scissors work well for this). Add sugar, butter, vanilla extract and simmer for 5 minutes stirring until the mix forms into a thick syrup. Remove pot from heat. Place the cornflakes into a large bowl and roughly crush with your hands-twice only. Spoon into the mix and gently stir until well combined. Line a 30 x 20cm slice dish with kitchen paper, add the mix and with a spatula, spread mix evenly into each corner of the dish. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Place chocolate buttons and kremelta into the top-pot of a double-boiler, add water in the base (make sure the water does not touch the base of the top). On a low heat, stir constantly until the chocolate and Kremelta are melted and starts to attain a lovely gloss. Pour evenly over ginger slice, refrigerate until chocolate has set (approx 30 minutes). Remove from dish, remove paper and slice. Place into an air tight container (fills a 2 litre ice-cream container) lining each layer with kitchen paper. Cover and store in the freezer.
The above recipe has been tested using Equagold ‘s fine quality products. Substituting ingredients with other brands may not yield the same results.