Top quality Cinnamon quillsåÊ are created from ‰ÛÏTrue Cinnamon‰ (Cinnamomum verum, synonym C. zeylanicum) it is a small evergreen tree native to Sri Lanka, not to be confused with Cassia which is generally light to reddish brown. This top quality Sri Lankan Cinnamon has a sweet warm tasting flavour with a woody aroma.åÊA divine taste that is distinctively different.åÊThe sticks look a tough in texture but they are actually soft and can be crumbled by hand.
Cinnamon is harvested by growing the tree for two years and then coppicing it.åÊThe next year a dozen or so shoots will form from the roots. These shoots are then stripped of their bark and left to dry. Only the thin (0.5 mm) inner bark is used; the outer woody portion is removed, leaving metre long cinnamon strips which curl into rolls (‰ÛÏquills‰) on drying; each dried quill comprises strips from numerous shoots packed together.
Tips for using Equagold Top quality Cinnamon quills
- Sprinkling onto porridge, breakfast bowls, muesli, pancakes, waffles and ice cream
- Add to savoury dishes, curries, meat stews and especially lamb dishes.
- Always a favourite in your the traditional crumbles and pies
- Blend it into butter and make spicy cinnamon toast and crumpets
- Whole pieces of cinnamon quills can be added to pilau rice
- A key ingredient in mulled wine