This is a delicious dessert combo or use the pears as an, elegant spiced accompaniment that you can serve with your next cheese plate.
Prep Time:70 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
- 4 firm pears, peeled, stems left on
- Vanilla bean, split lengthways or 2tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Equagold saffron threads (or use Saffron Extract)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup Sileni Chardonnay Verjuice
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1½ tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 star anise (optional)
- ¼ tsp Equagold flaked spanish salt
- Soak the saffron in warm water and leave for an hour. (unless you are using Saffron Extract)
- Combine vanilla bean (or extract), saffron, wine, sugar, lemon juice, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat and bring to a simmer.
- Gently add pears and enough water to completely submerge pears. Cover saucepan with a lid that is left sightly ajar and simmer, turn pears occasionally with a slotted spoon, for 30 minutes, until pears are tender. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove pears from the saucepan and transfer to a plate. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- The pears can be poached up to 24 hours ahead. Keep them in the poaching syrup in the fridge
- Serve with homemade chocolate gelato ( using Equagold dutch cocoa) and a ginger wafer
- Reduce left over syrup it down to a thicker consistency, and use it drizzled over any dessert, of any description
- Stir left over syrup it into porridge for breakfast, or soak the oats in it overnight and serve with unsweetened yoghurt
- Simply pour left over syrup ice, add soda (and vodka if so inclined)